Nothing takes a burger to the next level like a gourmet sauce paired with savory caramelized onions. The homemade mustard comes together in minutes and gets its sweetness from agave to keep this recipe completely plant-based.
4 Everything Legendary Plant-Based Burgers
1 medium tomato ¼ inch sliced
4 pieces of lettuce
4 plant-based burger buns
¼ cup agave nectar
½ cup of dried mustard
½ cup of white vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced
½ teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients for Agave Mustard in a saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat. Boil the mixture until it turns thick, about 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture in a container with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron pan over a hot grill, add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add salt, place pan over to the cooler side of the grill and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until the onions are very soft, golden brown, and caramelized. The timing will depend on the size of your onions and the heat of your grill.
- If at any point the onions start to stick to the bottom of the pan, remove the pan from heat for several minutes and continue to stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Place burger patties on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Spread agave mustard on bottom and top of bun, place grilled burger on top of bottom bun with caramelized onions.
- Grill slices of fresh pineapple and add to the burger for even better flavor.
- No need to defrost the burgers. They grill up best straight from the freezer.